- Require registration to get an accurate headcount and prevent over-ordering
- Encourage attendees to “BYOE” (Bring Your Own Everything) including plates, utensils, glassware, and cloth napkins
- Order food that does not require utensils (sandwiches, pizza, etc.)
Need to Cater Your Event?
Preferred Green Caterers are vendors that are screened annually and commit to providing fully compostable service ware for JHU events at no extra charge, as a means to reduce waste from catering and support local businesses.
Know a Green Caterer?
If you own a catering company or food truck, take our Preferred Green Caterer (PGC) certification survey! Commit to providing only compostable service ware at no added charge for JHU events and gain exposure through the Hopkins network! If you host events, share this survey if you don't see your favorite caterer on this list.
Planning a Giveaway?
Minimize event consumption and waste from the start! Be thoughtful about giveaways and review PLAN’s (Post Action Landfill Network) Hierarchical Ethical Guide to Swag to make more sustainable choices.
Décor & Energy
- Use recyclable or reusable decorations
- Consider using natural décor, such as plants or floral centerpieces
- When possible, omit dates and location from banners and other event materials, so they can be reused
- Limit use of balloons
- Provide reusable name tags and collect them at the end of the event
- Shut off A/V and lighting when not in use
Host an event outside and enjoy the bright green spaces on campus.
Planning & Hosting
- Create event signage on recovered and reusable materials like cardboard or old vinyl banners
- Save leftover signage for future zero waste events
Utilize JHU’s digital marketing tools such as Today’s Announcements, Hub Event Page, OrcaTV, and sustainability listserv to avoid generating paper waste and gain better exposure for your events and communications!
Making a purchase for your event?
Visit our Purchase Responsibly page for more ways you can make sustainable choices for your event.